Jun 16, 2019

Closing Chapter at Alderworks

Thank you, Jeff and Dorothy, for your generosity and vision in creating Alderworks, for the multiple rides into Skagway, for the eggs and bear spray and friendly dogs. Thank you, Allison, for all the honest conversations, laughter, and steep hikes. Thank you, Samantha, for demonstrating focus on your work.
Our residency is over but not our travels. On Friday we rented a car and drove two hours into the Yukon Territories, through miles and miles of forest, stopping in Carcross and Whitehorse where everyone we met were artists. Saturday we loaded our bags onto a ferry for Haines, another town with great art, and today we're on to Juneau.
I'll be sorting through what the take-aways are from Alderworks for a long time. Be watching for the mountains in my paintings. I loved the daily rhythm of hiking and sketching that led to new paintings. It was wonderful being part of a working couple, seeing Ed so excited (and frustrated) with his writing. ( I felt frustrated, too, sometimes.) The first thing I want to do after I unpack is apply for the next residency.

No comments:

Post a Comment