Apr 7, 2020

A Poignant Loss

Sheltering in place has its appeal for an introvert like me, but it has its losses as well.
My 100 year old house has a full basement where I paint, and for over a year I've been sharing this space with Michelle Fillmore, a very gifted artist. We'll put a speaker in the doorway between our studios and listen to Ear Hustle podcasts or get angry at the news together. Sometimes when I'm struggling with creative block, I'll hear a long groan come from Michelle, and I'll know she's feeling the same. Sometimes she'll flop down in the recliner by my easel, and we'll talk about the business of art. She has really become a member of the family, especially when she got meningitis and we raced her to the hospital in the middle of the night. She recently had her first solo show at Shoh Gallery which was very exciting.
Michelle's side gig is working at Trader Joe's, and since Ed and I are over 60, I had to tell her she couldn't paint here during the pandemic. That was hard! When I helped her carry her paints to her car, I told her, "I'm looking forward to the day when you can bring your supplies back." I hope that day comes soon, Michelle!

No comments:

Post a Comment