Apr 26, 2020

Floating #2


On Thursday evening, I felt so claustrophobic. I just wanted to walk on a beach. Ed and I jumped in the car and drove across the Richmond/San Rafael bridge and down highway 101 to the exit for the Marine Headlands. Everything was blocked. Back in the car, we drove across the Golden Gate and into San Francisco. So many apartments were dark, with almost no traffic on the streets. We went for a walk at Fort Mason; Alcatraz seemed close enough to touch. We drove home across one more bridge.

Now when I walk the Berkeley Marina, San Francisco shimmers inaccessible across the water.

What else is there to do during 2 months of sheltering in place? Read old high school diaries, of course! Which leads to looking up old boyfriends on Facebook. I found Sid, the dispenser of my fist kiss. It made me so happy to see him on my screen, big white beard, big belly, American flag T-shirt, still in the arms of the woman he married right after her high school graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment