Feb 10, 2022

A Place Out of Time

 The Dorland Mountain Arts Colony was first envisioned and constructed in 1979 on Nature Conservancy land. The grounds were decimated by fire in 2004 and rebuilt over the next decade. There are 5 cottages for visiting artists, writers, and musicians, plus two studios and other housing.

There's a whimsy to the place--two tiny ponds (one with a boat), various trails, and a spiral labyrinth at Sunrise Point. Dorland is next to the Agua Tibia Wilderness, and there are multiple narrow trails that hug the dry hillsides. Sage, brush and live oak are all around us, and we've spotted coyotes, rabbits, lizards, hawks, and a bobcat.

Dorland is amazing for what it doesn't have, as well as the natural beauty. No traffic, no computer demands, no obligations. Ed and I go for an early morning hike, and when we return to the cottage, I indulge in playing the Steinway grand piano. Then the day spreads out before me--I sketch, I paint, I go for another walk, I stop at Chris' cottage and watch her bead, I paint some more.

My first paintings here was in response to our time at Joshua Tree:


Ed is using this time here to work on his poetry. Here is one that is clearly Dorland inspired:

Before Our Eyes


Black lizard with jeweled skin,

ostentatious on the porch.

Ten push ups, then—Voila!

Vanishes before our eyes.


Sage leaves giggle

in Santa Ana breeze 

like children

on a playground swing. 


Honeybees sing on

blue rosemary blossoms,

suck nectar, feet muddy

with pollen. 


Two crows, 

black as dreams

atop a dead live oak.

“Look, they’re kissing.”






No comments:

Post a Comment