Jun 12, 2022

A Personal Artist Residency


 I love going to established artist residencies, meeting other creatives, and working furiously towards some culminating event. But there are also advantages to just getting away and painting at a friend's cabin or beach house. The pressure is off, I'm free from obligations, and I can explore places for new inspirations.

Right now I'm in Pacific Grove for a week with my husband and daughter. Last night we snuck into Point Lobos after hours and watched the sunset from a bluff over a beach full of sea lions. This morning we had Garrapata Beach all to ourselves--white sand and aqua water. We've also prowled around lighthouses and up Mermaid Lane in the fog. It was great to stop by Jennifer Perlmutter's new gallery in Carmel and give her a hug. In between outings, I've been painting by the dining room windows.   

I can't be an artist in isolation. Thank you so much, Chris and Dave, so sharing your home with us. The paintings that emerge from this place are dedicated to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment