Aug 23, 2022

Where do paintings come from?




 
I am constantly on the prowl for new ideas. One of my favorite spots is the dry dock yard at the Berkeley Marina. I'll sneak past the Do Not Trespass sign with my sketchbook in the evening and draw the beautiful sweeping lines of the boats. I also have small wooden boat models in my studio that I can refer to.



I might start with one image in mind, but I change or my feelings change, and soon the children in the boat are replaced by a tree...
I feel that giving myself permission to draw quietly for awhile is the best source for new work. Also, getting out in nature and grabbing photographs of anything that gives me pause helps a lot. And seeing other artists' work gives me courage to take risks, paint big, paint small, paint risky.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment