May 26, 2019

New Work








One of Ed's recent poems:

After Graduating from College with a Degree in Creative Arts

I was angry at a woman in San Jose
and sick of apartment cockroaches
so I tossed my stuff into the back of a pickup
and left town,
moved in with my parents
and searched for work.

Sometimes you take
what you can get,
like a job at a roller disco
cruising the floor on polyurethane wheels
in a ridiculous orange vest and white slacks,
blowing a whistle at speeding teens
while skating backward
beneath the mirror ball
in a warehouse of clamor.

Some nights I succumbed
to the beat and crowd current,
the sheer illusion of weightlessness,
a dancing fool
drifting like dandelion down
on the concussive wind
of the Commodores
thinking, "I'm too old for this."

Slippery floor, tangled bodies,
ice on swollen wrists.
Fall and rise. Float and crash.
Feet gasping for breath.

After closing, locking up,                                 
crowds and staff gone home,
I would leave that darkened parking lot
and hit the empty highway,
sky black as loneliness
and just as absolute.     








No comments:

Post a Comment